Saturday, June 8, 2024

Global Running Day 2024

 

As an Ambassador for the Boston Run Show, I received a message that invited us to document our activity on Global Running Day.  Except for 2021/2022 when I had a major setback, I always enjoyed celebrating Global Running Day. When it was a scheduled rest day, as Wednesday was, I swapped Thursday's run for Wednesday! Now that I finished my unfinished business from a DNF in Bermuda, I am working on speed during my weekday runs. 

I felt something stir deeply in my soul as Ruth Anne and I headed out the door to get in our 2 miles for the day. I asked her to please pace me. Now what you, dear readers need to realize is that for someone who was supposed to be in a wheelchair, I run pretty fast. What I LOVE about the running community is whether you run a 5 minute mile or in my case an 18-19 minute mile you are embraced and accepted. What a contrast to when I was growing up after having contracted paralytic polio when I was teased and taunted by my peers. I felt unbridled joy deep in my heart and soul. The come back is so much sweeter than the setback. I felt a profound connection to the communities of the Boston Run Show and the National Running Show in the UK. Here's the video Ruth Anne and I took during our run:

Celebrating 17 years of healing in the wake of a devastating diagnosis fills my heart with gratitude. Experiencing the beauty of nature and having a phenomenal coach and cheerleader in Ruth Anne intensified the pleasure of celebrating Global Running Day.

I earned the Garmin Global Running Day Badge and, in addition to having the best time, I had the best time in a long time with a 19:01 min/mile pace with a huge negative split of 19:53 on first mile to 18:06 on the second mile!


This morning I received the email from the National Running Show.
Global Running Day 2024 took place this Wednesday, and to celebrate the National Running Show and Boston Run Show communities took on a challenge to run a combined ultra marathon...

A challenge to see how far we could all run in 24 hours. No matter how far or how fast people went, every individual contribution added towards an overall total.

The aim was for that total to cross the ultra marathon threshold. But how far could the running community go?

Calling on staff, ambassadors, speakers and brands, the whole #runshow community was called into action.

Oh... and we also documented it! Watch the video below!


I laughed a hearty belly laugh with the start of the video. I cried happy tears and had goosebumps when I saw my face on the cover photo and watched the beautiful editing by Dominic Brown. 

I often wonder what my life would be like if I would not have had the courage and strength to defy the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome. I would have missed out on so much of life. I love being able to spread a powerful message of healing, of hope, of what's possible despite all appearances to the contrary. I love being out on the roads running at my pace and being celebrated by the running community at almost 70 and a half years old. I love how wonderful I feel coming back strong after a major setback in 2021/2022. The message that accompanies Raccoon Media Group's Ultramarathon Challenge is "No matter how far or how fast people went, every contribution added towards an overall total."

Imagine if the world took on the culture of the running community; every contribution is valued and celebrated and everyone is included regardless of age, sexual orientation, appearance or pace! 

Thank you Boston Run Show and National Running Show for sharing the essence of the celebration of Global Running Day around the globe. What a blessing to be a part of this community!

Be sure to mark your calendars for 3/1-3/2/2025 when the Boston Run Show returns to Boston co-locating with the Boston Outdoor Expo at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center.

In health and wellness,

Mary

Visit my website to be inspired by my journey. May it ignite a spark within you to go farther than you ever believed you could. Be sure to visit the News and Events Page with links to podcast interviews, speaking engagements and where you can find my incredibly inspirational story. My interview with the amazing On the Runs podcast team of Erika Hamel and Eric Knuuttunen is Episode 56. Be sure to subscribe and download on your favorite podcast platform and subscribe to their YouTube channel.

Proud to BU is a podcast highlighting the illustrious achievements of Boston University Alumni. Here is the link to my episode.

My books that pack powerful messages of healing, hope and possibilities are available on Amazon  My 7th book, "A Most Unlikely Runner:Inspiration From The Heart of a Warrior" is receiving rave reviews and is a selection of the WBZ News Radio Book Club.


 




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Vicarious Thrill of Cape Cod Marathon Race Weekend!

As Kara Goucher once said, "When it comes to running, participation and spectating go hand in hand. Watching the world's best compe...