Saturday, August 10, 2024

Into the Light - A Full Circle Moment at the Post Office

Three years later I learned that his name is Tim. 

Ruth Anne's twin brother, Autumn, wasn't feeling well on their 8/7 birthday. We decided to mail him his gifts. We debated which Post Office to go to and since we were in the Coolidge Corner area, decided to ship from there. I immediately recognized the man behind the glass in the small window to the side of the row of clerks. Ruth Anne cheerfully asked him the best way to ship the presents letting him know her twin brother wasn't feeling well and we wanted to get his gifts to him as quickly as possible. While she got the Priority Mail box I asked, "Have you been working here awhile?"

"It seems like forever," he said.

"Do you walk to and from work everyday?"

"Yes," he said with a somewhat puzzled look. 

Ruth Anne knew the story and smiled as I shared with him what happened 3 years ago as we emerged from the pandemic that is included in my book, "Into the Light: Emerging From the 2020 Pandemic."


#BeKind21 A Trip to the Post Office – Kindness is Contagious  September 8, 2021

I had my pants and return label ready to go to the Post Office for two days. I took them to the car as being one step closer to actually getting them to the Post Office. After I dropped my daughter off for her acupuncture appointment this morning, Spirit nudgedni me to go to a Post Office that I usually don't go to but that was close to her acupuncturist.

"Stand back there and wait for me to call you," the Postal Service worker barked at the man in front of me. "And make sure you are standing apart behind the blue lines. That's what they are there for."

A man with a passport application angrily walked away from the window mumbling something about filing a lawsuit.

While I wanted to leave and go to the Post Office I usually go to,  I felt the need to stay there.

"You wait there. She was ahead of you."

The gentleman in front of me said he was going to use the automatic machine but quickly returned saying it was out of order. I struck up a conversation with him about how COVID-19 2.0 seems to be leaving everyone feeling irritable. We chatted a bit about vaccines and masks before I shifted the conversation to gratitude. We smiled with our eyes and agreed that while things might seem worse, at some point the tide will turn and it will get better.

As he took his turn at the counter, a short in stature Asian woman came up right behind me in line with her mask beneath her nose. I warmly greeted her in response to her comment that there was not a long line today and asked her to please step behind the blue line for social distancing as the man behind the counter was enforcing the rules today.

"Oh yes yes," she said. "You are absolutely right."

She quickly adjusted her face mask.
The gentleman who had been in front of me turned as he went to leave wishing me a good day.

"Can I help you?" the Postal Service worker asked.

"Oh yes," I said. "I need a lot of help."

"Are you mailing these pants? This box is way too big."

"I'm sorry," I said. "That's why I didn't package it up. I have a prepaid label and a packing slip....You know I would like to just really thank you for your service. I know it's not easy working for the government under the best of circumstances. I worked at the VA for almost 20 years. I can only imagine the challenges you face every day during COVID-19."

"Thank you. Just for that I am going to get this all packaged up for you and not even charge you for the envelope."

"I'm so grateful to you for helping me."

"There's a lot to be grateful for right now...like this weather. I walk to work every day."

While he took care of everything for my package, we chatted for a few more minutes and said goodbye.

As I left, I whispered to my new friend in the line behind me, "Be sure to thank him."

I started walking down the ramp to exit the Post Office and out of the corner of my eye I saw her walk up to the window. She put her whole body and being into saying, "You extraordinary!" I heard him say "Thank you!" and I smiled knowing that the ripples from those Post Office encounters would create a wonderful vibration in my Town and beyond.

David Hamilton has done extensive research and writing on the benefits of kindness including how it is contagious. His blog, ‘How Kindness is Contagious’ is as timely today as it was ten years ago when he wrote it. Last March, David wrote in his blog, "The Most Contagious Thing is Kindness, So while we increase our physical distance to help reduce the likelihood of contagion of coronavirus, let us increase the contagion of kindness instead."

As evidenced by my recent trip to the Post Office, there is an urgent need to increase the contagion of kindness. It all begins with one person. May you be ‘patient zero.’

It was a full circle moment when he helped us get the package shipped. I was wearing my Boston Marathon volunteer jacket and he said how he loved running the Boston Marathon and yes he still walks to work every day. I told him he was in my book. He asked me where he could get it. I told him it was on Amazon and the title of the book.

When I got home, I searched in the manuscript for the story of that day. I took out an author copy, signed it, "Always remember you extraordinary" and put a post it on the page of the story.

Ruth Anne and I returned to the Post Office the next day with book in hand. His eyes filled with tears and asked me what he owed me. I replied, "Nothing. It's a gift!" I finally asked him what his name was.

"Tim. I'm Tim" and we shook hands as he shook his head in disbelief. "Thank you for this," he said. "I'm so glad you came when you did because I was just getting ready to close up." We felt #allthefeels as we left the Post Office with hearts overflowing with light and joy.

If Autumn had not been under the weather on his birthday and if we would have chosen another Post Office, this full circle magical moment would not have happened. It was all meant to be especially during these tumultuous times in our country and the world where we all need the magic of kindness.

If you'd like to learn more about the health benefits of kindness, order David's latest book, "The Joy of Actually Giving a F***" available through his website. 

In health and wellness,

Mary

Visit my website to be inspired by my journey. May it ignite a spark within you to go farther than you ever believed you could. Be sure to visit the News and Events Page with links to podcast interviews, speaking engagements and where you can find my incredibly inspirational story. My interview with the amazing On the Runs podcast team of Erika Hamel and Eric Knuuttunen is Episode 56. Be sure to subscribe and download on your favorite podcast platform and subscribe to their YouTube channel.

On 9/28 I will be at Providence Fit Body Boot Camp for a book signing and inspirational conversation, "Running With Health Challenges as Septuagenerians: Still Moving and Finishing Strong." Details are on the News and Events  Page.

Proud to BU is a podcast highlighting the illustrious achievements of Boston University Alumni. Here is the link to my episode.

My books that pack powerful messages of healing, hope and possibilities are available on Amazon  My 7th book, "A Most Unlikely Runner:Inspiration From The Heart of a Warrior" is receiving rave reviews and is a selection of the WBZ News Radio Book Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Vicarious Thrill of Cape Cod Marathon Race Weekend!

As Kara Goucher once said, "When it comes to running, participation and spectating go hand in hand. Watching the world's best compe...