Sunday, September 1, 2024

From Crocus to Crickets - End of Summer Miles With Smiles!

 

While I am nicknamed the Empress of Enthusiasm and my posts are primarily positive, there is something that not a lot of people know about me. I used to dread Labor Day Weekend. My father died by suicide on 8/1/1971. Somehow, I mustered the strength and resilience to begin my freshmen year at Boston University in September. The diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome in December of 2006 opened a portal to healing. I discovered the gift of poetry in my soul and the runner within me was born in my imagination. I transformed from a survivor of paralytic polio and trauma to one who experiences life through the lens of gratitude, joy, celebration with eyes wide open to the miracle of life.

The feelings of angst that were once an integral part of Labor Day Weekend have been transformed to now experiencing all the excitement of a new month, cooler temperatures for running, baking, bringing out recipes for heartier foods and the beauty that comes with transition and transformation.

I wrote the poem "From Crickets to Crocus" during the 2020 Pandemic. You can find it in my book, "Into the Light:Emerging From the 2020 Pandemic." It's one of my favorite poems to revisit at this time of year when the cricket's song serenades us to sleep. It's so easy to bemoan how quickly summer flew by. During our run on the last day of August, we celebrated with our hearts filled with gratitude knowing how blessed we are to be able to be outdoors getting in the miles filled with smiles.



 The bright green colors of late Spring and summer are beginning to fade. We can sense the shift in the light. The sun rises later and sets earlier. Temperatures are starting to dip. But our spirits soar as we anticipate #allthethings that Autumn brings. We had a fabulous 5K as I train for the Somerville Jingle Bell Run in December. With cooler temps, Team McManus will head over to Somerville to train on the course. Tom and Ruth Anne are running the Providence Downtown 5K on 9/15 and the Cape Cod Half on October 12th. 

On 9/28th, we are having an event in Providence at Providence Fit Body Boot Camp in partnership with Marathon Sports Providence. It's an uplifting and inspiring event for all ages; a wonderful way to kick off a new season. 

 

Running With Health Challenges as Septuagenerians: Still Moving and Finishing Strong! {You can read the back story by following this link.}
             
Marlene Rose Gamba and Mary McManus, both in their 70’s were two strangers when they met at the back of the pack on the Bermuda Hills 10K in January of 2024; two unlikely runners who overcame  tremendous health challenges to toe the starting line. They forged a friendship to last a lifetime. Their journeys of transformation will uplift, motivate and inspire you to know what's possible despite all appearances to the contrary.

--Enjoy a 15 minute workout led by a Providence Fit Body Boot Camp Coach

--Inspirational conversation with Mary and Marlene moderated by their daughters Melody Gamba and Ruth Anne McManus

--Book signing of Mary’s book, “A Most Unlikely Runner:Inspiration From The Heart of a Warrior,” a selection of the WBZ NewsRadio Book Club

***RSVP here: https://forms.gle/mxASGoEkfp2ny3ts5

Admission is Free! Books are $15.00

Light refreshments & Raffle Prizes!
3 - $50 gift cards to Marathon Sports Providence
1 - $50 gift card to lululemon Providence
1 - $50 gift card to Rhode Runner
2 - $15 gift cards to Kwench Juice Cafe
A pack of FlavaBars from FlavaNaturals
2 - autographed copies of Mary's Book
A special gift from Providence Fit Body Boot Camp

I'm always open to how the Universe will surprise me as the cricket's song heralds the beginning of this final quarter of 2024!

In health and wellness,

Mary

Visit my website to be inspired by my journey. May it ignite a spark within you to go farther than you ever believed you could. Be sure to visit the News and Events Page with links to podcast interviews, speaking engagements and where you can find my incredibly inspirational story. My interview with the amazing On the Runs podcast team of Erika Hamel and Eric Knuuttunen is Episode 56. Be sure to subscribe and download on your favorite podcast platform and subscribe to their YouTube channel.

On 9/28 I will be at Providence Fit Body Boot Camp for a book signing and inspirational conversation, "Running With Health Challenges as Septuagenerians: Still Moving and Finishing Strong." Details are on the News and Events  Page.

Proud to BU is a podcast highlighting the illustrious achievements of Boston University Alumni. Here is the link to my episode.

My books that pack powerful messages of healing, hope and possibilities are available on Amazon  My 7th book, "A Most Unlikely Runner:Inspiration From The Heart of a Warrior" is receiving rave reviews and is a selection of the WBZ News Radio Book Club.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Vicarious Thrill of Cape Cod Marathon Race Weekend!

As Kara Goucher once said, "When it comes to running, participation and spectating go hand in hand. Watching the world's best compe...