Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Sore. The Most Satisfying Pain!

18 years ago I received the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome. I was told it is a progressive neuromuscular disease and to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair. There was a possibility of needing a feeding tube because the left side of my esophagus was sluggish and I was aspirating food into my lungs. My breathing was compromised. I declined the recommendation for a sleep apnea machine. After intensive outpatient rehab with physical therapist Allison, who did not believe I was destined to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair, I hired a personal trainer who subscribed to Henry Ford's philosophy of "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right!"

After my first training session with my personal trainer, I had muscles that I did not know existed in my body. I made a conscious decision that if I were going to be in pain, I would rather hurt on the side of healing and wellness than the pain of atrophy. In truth, they both cause pain!

After 6 months of working with Janine, she asked me what my next goals were. "I want to feel free in my body. I want to diversify my workouts. I want to come out of my leg brace...maybe take a dance class since I took ballet before I contracted polio..." She wrote down my new health and fitness goals. She had her hand on the door knob and had already gathered up her things when I said...

 


Talk about sore!!! Learning how to run and train for a marathon at 53 years old is no easy feat but what moments of satisfaction I experienced as I built endurance and mental toughness on the road to the 2009 Boston Marathon.



 

 

 

 

 

I continue to experience soreness as I continue to challenge myself on the roads and in my strength training workouts. At 71 years old, and as one who had been diagnosed with Post-Polio Syndrome, I know how vital it is to keep moving forward in my health and wellness journey. I listen closely to my body to ensure I do not cross that delicate line from soreness to pain that could lead to an injury. I do, however, relish the most satisfying pain of being sore.  

In health and wellness,

Mary

Visit my website to be inspired by my journey. May it ignite a spark within you to go farther than you ever believed you could. Be sure to visit the News and Events Page with links to podcast interviews, speaking engagements, where you can find my incredibly inspirational story and upcoming events.

Proud to BU is a podcast highlighting the illustrious achievements of Boston University Alumni. Here is the link to my episode.

My books that pack powerful messages of healing, hope and possibilities are available on Amazon  My 7th book, "A Most Unlikely Runner:Inspiration From The Heart of a Warrior" is receiving rave reviews and is a selection of the WBZ News Radio Book Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Vicarious Thrill of Cape Cod Marathon Race Weekend!

As Kara Goucher once said, "When it comes to running, participation and spectating go hand in hand. Watching the world's best compe...