Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Hard is What Makes it Great - But Sometimes Easy Makes it Good!

Last week, the memory of my first trail race on Spectacle Island popped up on Facebook. I was so anxious about the race after Alain Ferry, the Race Director posted the elevation map on Facebook. When I sent him an email wondering if I should still take on the challenge he wrote back to me with the above quote from "A League of Their Own." I've known hard ever since I was 5 1/2 years old after contracting paralytic polio and endured years of abuse at the hands of family members until my father ended his life when I was 17, a month before I started my freshman year at Boston University. With the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome in December of 2006 when life as I had known it came to a screeching halt, I had to "take it easy." I used a variety of adaptive equipment to support my debilitated state as I initially prepared to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair and expect an accelerated decline in functioning as I aged. We used PeaPod for grocery delivery and I relied on my family to do all the chores. At my award-winning VA social work career, I had to scale back on taking my veterans to their other clinic stops. I once said that the day I was no longer able to do my job as I had always done it, would be the day I would leave. That day came on 5/25/2007.

I knew that an easy life wasn't the life I was meant to live. In February of 2007, I got still and asked for Divine Guidance. The poem, "Running the Race" flowed from my heart and soul. It opened the portal to healing and foreshadowed my 2009 Boston Marathon run. Talk about doing hard things!

Beginning in June of 2025, Tom and I set out on a training cycle for the 2026 Hyannis Marathon 10K. It was a grueling New England Winter. The training cycle culminated with my  7.2 mile birthday run. Race weekend was cancelled. Because of the unsafe running conditions, we did a 5K on 'Race Weekend,' feeling satisfied and accomplished. A hard training cycle and going farther than I had since the 2018 Bermuda Half Marathon made it great. Tom and I have been focusing on strength training and easy, shorter runs. It feels good right now!

I usually don't think about accepting accommodations to make my life easier. When we saw "Hamilton" in April, we didn't realize our seats in Orchestra Row R would require steps nor did I know there was a handicapped accessible bathroom on the first floor. This September, we bought tickets in Row B of the Center Orchestra. In April, because of all the walking we'd done before the show and needing to climb the steep stairs, I experienced muscle spasms and nerve pain although the incredible show that "Hamilton" is pierced through any discomfort I felt. When you read my blog recaps of our NYC Adventures beginning with Watch the Gap, you'll see how I am learning to walk a middle path with the challenges I still experience secondary to polio and trauma balanced with the joy of the miraculous healing I've been blessed to experience. I graciously and eagerly accepted an extended hand when there was a huge gap getting off the train at Penn Station. We "just happened" to meet Bobby Hentze, the Automation Operator at "Hamilton". What Are The Odds  that he would be coming up to the stage door just as we were taking photos.

 

After receiving a back stage tour and sharing a bit of my journey with Bobby, we embraced his kindness and generosity. While I could have easily stood in line waiting to get into the theater, I accepted his invitation to let security know that I had a 'condition' and should be at the front of the line. I was delighted when security let me into the theater lobby to sit on a folding chair until it was time to open the house.

Because we were among the first to enter the lobby, I was able to find my way to the bar (no not for a drink silly) but to find Mike Anthony, author of "Life At Hamilton." He signed my book and told me to return at intermission.

Rather than navigate my way through the throngs of women heading downstairs to use the bathroom, I asked for the HP bathroom on the first floor. I was able to have time to chat with Mike and get a photo.
 
One of my favorite lyrics from "Hamilton" is "Raise a Glass to Freedom", that I chose as the title for Part 3 of my Adventures in NYC blog. Musical theater has the power to transform and heal. While I've done many hard things throughout my life and especially since the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome, during our recent NYC Adventures weekend, I came to the realization that sometimes easy makes it good. I am free to be unapologetically me asking for and accepting help that can bring me greater joy, grace and ease. Easy is even sweeter when someone intuitively knows what would bring me greater ease and joy. Sometimes taking the easier way leads to magical destinations. Sometimes, easy makes it oh so good!
In health and wellness,

Mary

Visit my website to learn how poetry, optimism, gratitude and the mind/body connection helped me to transform my life. After having been told in December 2006 that I should prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair, I went on to cross the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and have many adventures as runnergirl 1953. Be sure to visit the recently updated News and Events Page for links to podcast interviews, speaking engagements and where you can find my incredibly inspirational story.

My Trilogy of Transformation chronicles my journey from having been told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair with the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease by Western Medicine standards to a woman transformed through the sport of running. Take a journey into a world of healing, hope and possibilities with my 7 books, available on Amazon. My 7th book, "A Most Unlikely Runner: Inspiration From The Heart of a Warrior" is a selection of the WBZ News Radio Book Club and Bill Rodgers Running Center Billy's Bookshelf: Recommended Reading for Every Runner. You will be inspired by my strength, courage, resilience, determination and overcoming the inevitable setbacks that come with a journey to health and wellness. 
What if the key to overcoming life's greatest challenges lies in the melodies that resonate with our souls? Join us in this heartfelt episode of the Music Saved Me Podcast, where hosts Lynn Hoffman and Buzz Knight dive deep into the transformative power of music with our inaugural contest winner, Mary McManus. Mary’s journey is a testament to the healing power of music, as she shares her inspiring story of resilience after contracting paralytic polio at a young age and navigating a tumultuous family environment. Listen to the episode by following this link.

Through her narrative, Mary McManus reveals how music became her sanctuary. A pivotal moment in her life came when her cousin, a Broadway producer, introduced her to the world of musical theater—a vibrant escape that ignited her passion and brought her immense joy. This episode explores the profound connection between music and emotional healing, showcasing how Mary McManus found solace in melodies during her toughest times and how they helped her forge connections with others

Listeners will be moved by Mary’s reflections on the influence of her high school music teacher and the supportive community she discovered in orchestral music. These experiences highlight the essence of music as therapy, illustrating its role in fostering emotional well-being and resilience. Mary’s journey culminates in her remarkable achievement of running the Boston Marathon, a testament to her indomitable spirit and the impact of music in her life.

Throughout this episode, we delve into the broader themes of music and mental health, exploring how independent musicians can harness their art to inspire and uplift. Mary’s story is not just about personal struggles; it’s a celebration of the healing power of music and its ability to connect us all. From emotional healing through music to the stories of musicians who have shaped our lives, this episode is a treasure trove of insights for anyone seeking inspiration.

 Join us as we uncover the magic of music and its role in personal stories of triumph. Whether you’re a fan of the music history podcast genre or simply looking for a dose of motivation, this episode of the Music Saved Me Podcast promises to resonate deeply. Tune in for an inspiring conversation that underscores the importance of finding your voice and the transformative nature of music in navigating life's adversities. Don’t miss out on this heartfelt journey with Mary McManus, where we celebrate the stories that remind us all of the profound impact music has on our lives.

 Last year I was the guest on The Optimism Institute Blue Sky Podcast. 
"Mary McManus has never had it easy. As a kindergartner, she was a victim of polio just a short time before the vaccine was introduced. She also faced trauma in her home life but somehow managed to persevere and overcome these and still more obstacles throughout her life. Today, Mary is an inspiring author, poet, motivational speaker, and finisher of the Boston Marathon." Here is the link to the Episode Website. Be sure to subscribe on your favorite podcast platform and on YouTube.

 

Reach out to me at maryamcmanus@gmail.com if you'd like me to speak to your organization or group to inspire them with what's possible despite all appearances to the contrary; how one finds strength, resilience and determination in the face of seemingly impossible odds.

     

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hard is What Makes it Great - But Sometimes Easy Makes it Good!

Last week, the memory of my first trail race on Spectacle Island popped up on Facebook. I was so anxious about the race after Alain Ferry, t...