Thursday, June 27, 2024

Risk Going Too Far! Celebrating a Half Birthday!

 

In "A Most Unlikely Runner:Inspiration From The Heart of a Warrior," the theme of taking a risk is woven throughout my story. Transformation is an ongoing process. After a major setback in 2021/2022, it was time to risk going too far again. It can be so easy to become complacent and surrender to 'what is' as I did after an adverse reaction to the COVID vaccine. I honestly thought my racing days and distance days were behind me. But how dull my life would be just resting on what I'd done as a most unlikely runner rather than continuing to challenge myself and see what this body can do over and over and over again.

I just celebrated my half birthday on 6/25. I've been pushing my pace in training runs and love sweating, feeling nauseous and how strong I am becoming despite having once been diagnosed with a progressive neuromuscular disease. 

This was my Facebook post after my strength training session on Monday: 


 

From atrophy to activity and amazingness! During this morning's strength training session with Tom McManus, as we did our weighted leg lifts, I blurted out "I am getting stronger. From atrophy to activity and amazingness!"

17 years ago I was still in my leg brace and had messages from Western Medicine that said, "Prepare to spend the rest of your life in a wheelchair. If you use it you will lose it." Initially I needed to slow down, leave my award-winning social work career and use a leg brace and cane and energy conservation techniques.

But something deep within me stirred as I wrote poetry harnessing the power of the mind/body connection. Optimism, faith, gratitude and feeling connection to Source fueled my healing in the wake of the devastating diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome. 

To celebrate my half birthday, we went to Cape Cod. I switched up my training plan for the week. Strength training on Monday. A run on Tuesday. A walk on Wednesday. Now it's time for two rest days before a 2 mile race on Saturday. 

I noticed the improvement in my strength and endurance from when we visited Cape Cod last year. Having gone out on May 4th to finish the unfinished business from Bermuda gave my body a confidence boost. I believe that it sent my body a powerful healing message. I risked going too far that day because I had not yet built back my mileage and my body was recovering from travel and the DNF but I found out how far I can go!

Every day is a celebration of life and having my half birthday was a great excuse to enjoy and celebrate in our happy place on Cape Cod. Enjoy these photos that highlight the joy:





 









I've made lifestyle changes to support my desire to risk going too far. While we were on the Cape, I had no ice cream or desserts. The only sweet treat I consume these days is FlavaNaturals. I consume no alcohol or red meat and love fish with occasional chicken. I know nutritionists and trainers say don't deprive yourself but truth be told, the way that I feel when I focus on healthy eating habits far outweighs any feelings of deprivation. Dr. David Hamilton speaks to the power of neuroplasticity when we want to change habits. We can retrain our brains to eliminate cravings for foods that we tend to over indulge in or even foods that don't feed our bodies well. I've also eliminated pizza which was a regular part of my diet. I feel lighter and healthier. David explains that our wiring is like a path in a field. We keep going over the same path in the field because it's the easiest path. It takes a lot of work and effort to go down a new path BUT what happens is the new path becomes known and familiar and the old path gets overgrown along with the desire to go down that path again. Initially it takes discipline and effort to make changes but the rewards are so worth it.

In 2007, I took a risk with a leap of faith leaving behind my award-winning social work career. In 2009 I risked going too far by running the Boston Marathon. Throughout my adventures as runnergirl 1953, I risked going too far. Once again in my healing journey, I am risking going too far. I've intensified strength training effort and pushing my pace. My goal race for this year is the Somerville Jingle Bell 5K on December 15th. Next year, I will risk going too far and train for another half marathon.

In health and wellness,

Mary

Visit my website to be inspired by my journey. May it ignite a spark within you to go farther than you ever believed you could. Be sure to visit the News and Events Page with links to podcast interviews, speaking engagements and where you can find my incredibly inspirational story. My interview with the amazing On the Runs podcast team of Erika Hamel and Eric Knuuttunen is Episode 56. Be sure to subscribe and download on your favorite podcast platform and subscribe to their YouTube channel.

Proud to BU is a podcast highlighting the illustrious achievements of Boston University Alumni. Here is the link to my episode.

My books that pack powerful messages of healing, hope and possibilities are available on Amazon  My 7th book, "A Most Unlikely Runner:Inspiration From The Heart of a Warrior" is receiving rave reviews and is a selection of the WBZ News Radio Book Club.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Vicarious Thrill of Cape Cod Marathon Race Weekend!

As Kara Goucher once said, "When it comes to running, participation and spectating go hand in hand. Watching the world's best compe...