Sunday, June 30, 2024

I Exceed All Expectations and Now I Set the Pace!

 

On Saturday, Team McManus headed to Quincy to participate in the 2 mile walk at the Bill Dunn, Jr. Memorial Road Race that many members of our running Club, L Street Running Club,  participate in every year. There is a 5 mile run and two mile walk to honor Bill Dunn, Jr., a beloved member of the Hough's Neck Community. Because of the distance shorter than a 5K, I wanted to race it and see what pace I'd be able to do. All proceeds go toward scholarships for those in need in Quincy as a way to keep Bill's spirit alive. 

During my morning meditation, I wondered whether or not we should go. I hadn't heard from my fellow running Club members about it for a week nor was anything posted on Facebook. What if no one else was there from L Street? Would there be volunteers to let us know where to turn? I have no idea where the race is or what the vibe is like? What if ... what if...what if... So I let go and let the Universe lead. I usually make sure that we get to a race at least a half hour before it starts. We got a late start since we all had to go to the bathroom. When we arrived, it was 20 minutes to start time. We saw many members of L Street who directed us where to go to get our t-shirts. Tom found a parking space less than a block away. We changed into the walkers t-shirts and headed to the start finding more members of L Street along the way exchanging hugs and high fives.


 

 It was a rather disorganized start to the race and suddenly it started. We were in the middle of the pack. As the pace picked up, we stayed with the middle of the pack. It was perfect running weather. We've been so blessed with weather for the past 3 events we've been a part of. The heat and humidity would have made for a very different race day.

We had to start out slowly since there was a tight pack of runners and walkers but once the pack dispersed, we were able to settle into a rhythm. I knew that I wanted to do at least a sub 20 minute/mile pace (and please remember that for someone who was supposed to be in a wheelchair I go pretty fast). I just opened it up and wanted to see, in the words of my once beloved personal trainer, what this body could do. 

Ruth Anne kept an eye on the pace and was so supportive and encouraging as she said, "Wow Ma, you're doing great. Look at you go."

Tom was our official photographer since I did not want to break my rhythm along the beautiful course.




 

This was the first race that Ruth Anne, Tom and I shared since the 2018 Bermuda Half Marathon. It was exhilarating to be together AND to be in the middle of the pack where we saw walkers and runners in front of us and walkers behind us. I asked two women next to us if they'd done the race before. When they said yes, I asked where the turnaround was as we were approaching the 1 mile mark. There were volunteers up ahead directing the walkers to a left turn. She reassured us that we wouldn't get lost. I said to Tom and Ruth Anne, "Of course we won't because I am able to keep up with the pack!" 

There were a few hills, rolling hills and then a steep incline. I was amazed at how I was able to keep my pace and stay with the pack. I felt an indescribable sense of joy and exhilaration that I was off of the sidelines. I was able to pass other walkers but my only competition was myself. While virtual races are awesome in their own right and enabled me to finish the unfinished business of the Bermuda 10K,  I have to agree with Scott Jurek that there is something that stirs the soul when you are out on the roads or trails with competitors.

The total distance was 2.19 miles and I asked out loud to no one in particular, would I be able to keep this pace for a 5K? 


 

 

When I did the First Run Virtual 5K in 2023, my first race since having a setback in my healing journey in 2021/2022, I did an 18:40 minute/mile pace. I am imprinting how great I felt pushing my pace, going for 2.19 miles with a very brief stop for water and feeling deep in my soul that I am still capable of great things! As a point of interest, my age grade calculation for today's race is a 14:30 minute/mile pace. 

The couplet on the above photo is an excerpt from the first poem I wrote, "Running the Race" in February of 2007. After receiving the devastating diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome and having been told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair, I got still and asked for Divine Guidance. That poem foreshadowed my 2009 Boston Marathon run. The runner within me was born in my imagination. Seventeen years later I am celebrating life and aging strong feeling blessed and grateful, knowing that every step is a gift and every mile is a blessing. My heart overflows with gratitude.

We stayed at the finish line to cheer on our L Street runners finishing their 5 miler. Everyone said how much better the conditions were this year than last year when they were soaked with sweat in the heat and humidity.




It would be so easy to say, well that was just a walk or just a two miler but you know what? There is no such thing as just! Be proud and loud about your achievements without comparing yourself to anyone else. I remember when one person said to me, "You call that running?" I smiled broad and wide. "I sure do," I answered. Throughout these past 17 years, I have exceeded all expectations and I set the pace and what a pace I set on Saturday with the help of my teammates, Tom and Ruth Anne.

In health and wellness,

Mary

Visit my website to be inspired by my journey. May it ignite a spark within you to go farther than you ever believed you could. Be sure to visit the News and Events Page with links to podcast interviews, speaking engagements and where you can find my incredibly inspirational story. My interview with the amazing On the Runs podcast team of Erika Hamel and Eric Knuuttunen is Episode 56. Be sure to subscribe and download on your favorite podcast platform and subscribe to their YouTube channel.

Proud to BU is a podcast highlighting the illustrious achievements of Boston University Alumni. Here is the link to my episode.

My books that pack powerful messages of healing, hope and possibilities are available on Amazon  My 7th book, "A Most Unlikely Runner:Inspiration From The Heart of a Warrior" is receiving rave reviews and is a selection of the WBZ News Radio Book Club.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Vicarious Thrill of Cape Cod Marathon Race Weekend!

As Kara Goucher once said, "When it comes to running, participation and spectating go hand in hand. Watching the world's best compe...