Saturday, July 13, 2024

Book Review: Choosing to Run: A Memoir Des Linden


When I heard that Des Linden was going to be a headline speaker at the Boston Run Show, I knew that I had to read her book, 'Choosing to Run: A Memoir.'

My husband ran the 2011 Boston Marathon for Boston Children's Hospital. I had a front row seat at the finish line thanks to the hospitality of Marathon Sports. I got goosebumps all over when Des recounts the moments of that iconic finish. My voice was hoarse as I joined in the crowd's chanting trying to will her to get that kick so she could break the finisher's tape. Des's memoir takes us into the heart and mind of her amazing journey as one who chooses to run over and over again despite setbacks and a potentially life threatening health issue.

In the Acknowledgements, Des thanks her agent Josh. "We've shared so many hours and and beers talking about my running career and what it would be like when I won the Boston Marathon. It didn't wind up looking anything like we'd dreamed of, but that made it a bit more special.....Thanks for recognizing that this version, the full version of my Boston win needed to be told..." It certainly did!

Whether or not you are a runner, you will appreciate the unfolding of the events of the day that Des Linden achieved her dream of becoming a Boston Marathon champion. Her memoir draws you into the drama of the day by interspersing the recounting of the miles against the backdrop of what was happening in her life.  After the diagnosis of hypothyroidism, she shares how she had to adapt her training for days when she was not like her former self able to effortlessly roll through the miles. As she Tweeted on 3/15/18: "Some days it just flows and I feel like I'm born to do this, other days it feels like I'm trudging through hell. Every day I make the choice to show up and see what I've got, and to try and be better. My advice: keep showing up."

She certainly does keep showing up. It is always a thrill to see her coming down Beacon Street on the 3rd Monday in April. The crowds adore her no matter what place she is in especially since her iconic 2018 win. The weather conditions were too tough for me to watch the race in person that year but what a thrill to watch the TV coverage and see her all alone down the stretch on Boylston Street to break the finisher's tape, and a spell of over 30 years of not having an American woman win Boston. Being able to experience those final miles through the lens of Des's mind and heart in her memoir brought me to tears and goosebumps all over. 

"Choosing to Run:A Memoir" is an intimate portrait that lets the reader into the life of an inspiring, captivating, uniquely complex champion.  Run, don't walk to get your copy. 

Be sure to sign up for the Boston Run Show Newsletter to stay up to date on all the excitement happening at the Boston Convention and Exhibit Center on March 1-2, 2025. 

In health and wellness,

Mary

Visit my website to be inspired by my journey. May it ignite a spark within you to go farther than you ever believed you could. Be sure to visit the News and Events Page with links to podcast interviews, speaking engagements and where you can find my incredibly inspirational story. My interview with the amazing On the Runs podcast team of Erika Hamel and Eric Knuuttunen is Episode 56. Be sure to subscribe and download on your favorite podcast platform and subscribe to their YouTube channel.

Proud to BU is a podcast highlighting the illustrious achievements of Boston University Alumni. Here is the link to my episode.

My books that pack powerful messages of healing, hope and possibilities are available on Amazon  My 7th book, "A Most Unlikely Runner:Inspiration From The Heart of a Warrior" is receiving rave reviews and is a selection of the WBZ News Radio Book Club.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Vicarious Thrill of Cape Cod Marathon Race Weekend!

As Kara Goucher once said, "When it comes to running, participation and spectating go hand in hand. Watching the world's best compe...