Thursday, July 11, 2024

My Morning Run!


 "My morning run is the in-between space between yesterday's problems and today's beautiful possibilities" ~Anonymous

This past week has had many challenges for Team McManus but with our strength, grit, resilience and determination we made it through! When I heard that the temps were going to be 100 degrees with the heat index, I set my alarm for 6:30am to get in my Monday morning miles. I knew I needed solo miles this morning to clear out the cobwebs of worry and to get into a head space of positivity and gratitude. It was a gorgeous summer morning although the heat and humidity of the day was beginning to creep in. I let the sweat wash away my worries and tap into the infinite possibilities of a new day and a new week!

During my run, I decided that when I begin my day, I want to start with setting the intention of how I am going to take care of myself today, what am I going to create and what steps am I going to take to move in the direction of my dreams. Yes at 70 and a half years old, I still have dreams!

I paused to soak up the beauty of a summer morning.









 

As I experienced the glory of the scene before me, I tapped into the miracle of my journey of transformation. The title of my first book in my Trilogy of Transformation is, 'Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibilities.' When I first set out to heal my life in the wake of the devastating diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome,  I did not know what was possible. I didn't know that it was possible for me to run the 2009 Boston Marathon despite never having run a day in my life. I didn't know it was possible to have a come back after a major setback in my journey in 2021/2022. I did not know I could have incredible adventures after leaving behind my award-winning social work career at the VA. So the challenges of the past week melted away as I poured sweat and set the intention for the day and week ahead.

Rise.run.repeat. With sweltering temps and high humidity predicted for Thursday, I set my alarm for 6:00am. Despite it being a grey day, I focused on summer's splendor knowing how quickly summertime's verdant greens yield to Autumn splendor.


As I turned the page on the Gone or a Run calendar, it said "Difficult roads lead to beautiful destinations." Boy do I know how true that is. I've known challenges since I was 5 years old and each of those challenges through the years were stepping stones for me to become the woman I am today. Were it not for those challenges, I am not sure that I would live with this incredible sense of awe and gratitude; that every step I take is a gift nor would I have a powerful message of healing, hope and possibilities to share with the world.

While I am not a big fan of the high heat and humidity, it does motivate me to get up early and experience the blessings of my morning run.

From "A Most Unlikely Runner:Inspiration From The Heart of a Warrior"


In health and wellness,

Mary

Visit my website to be inspired by my journey. May it ignite a spark within you to go farther than you ever believed you could. Be sure to visit the News and Events Page with links to podcast interviews, speaking engagements and where you can find my incredibly inspirational story. My interview with the amazing On the Runs podcast team of Erika Hamel and Eric Knuuttunen is Episode 56. Be sure to subscribe and download on your favorite podcast platform and subscribe to their YouTube channel.

Proud to BU is a podcast highlighting the illustrious achievements of Boston University Alumni. Here is the link to my episode.

My books that pack powerful messages of healing, hope and possibilities are available on Amazon  My 7th book, "A Most Unlikely Runner:Inspiration From The Heart of a Warrior" is receiving rave reviews and is a selection of the WBZ News Radio Book Club.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Vicarious Thrill of Cape Cod Marathon Race Weekend!

As Kara Goucher once said, "When it comes to running, participation and spectating go hand in hand. Watching the world's best compe...