Sunday, July 28, 2024

The Bannister Effect: It Always Seems Impossible Until It's Done!

 

Before Roger Bannister broke the 4 minute mile in 1954, everyone believed it was not possible. After he broke the 4 minute mile, others believed it was possible and were able to break his record. The current record for a man in the mile is 3:43. It's called "The Bannister Effect";  the idea that a seemingly foreboding achievement can be duplicated by many others once one person shows it is possible.

This quote from Dr. Joe Dispenza popped up in my social media feed: "Every time someone heals themselves, they are breaking a belief system about what was once thought impossible." I was told to prepare for life in a wheelchair and an accelerated decline as I aged. The Western Medicine view was that if you use it you lose it, not taking into account the body's tremendous capacity to heal and neuroplasticity. I was able to harness the power of the mind/body connection through writing poetry visualizing myself as healthy, whole and healed. Despite all the literature to the contrary about Post-Polio Syndrome, I went on to run the 2009 Boston Marathon and have many adventures as runnergirl 1953!

After a serious knee injury in December of 2014, I was told to stop running or cap my distance at a 5K; that I should never have started running in the first place. I would need a total knee replacement in a few years. Shredded cartilage, bone spurs, degenerative changes from arthritis, "Oh and the gastroc muscle on the left leg is atrophied from the initial polio virus. There's nothing we an do about that." The Universe led me to a chiropractor who turned me on to Dr. Joe's work. With chiropractic, visualization, meditation, a new strength training regimen, KT tape and a powerful belief that I would and could continue to heal, I grew a new gastroc muscle, dissolved bone spurs, grew new cartilage and went on to run 3 Bermuda Half Marathons in 2016, 2017 and 2018!

Another setback in 2021/2022 led to another comeback that I chronicle in my 7th book, "A Most Unlikely Runner:Inspiration From The Heart of a Warrior" now available on Amazon. 

And speaking of seeming impossible -- Celine Dion was experiencing a strange array of neurological symptoms. She thought maybe it was all in her head and doctors were at first stymied by her symptoms that took away her ability to sing. She was finally diagnosed with a rare neurological disorder called, "Stiff Person's Syndrome." It's called a chronic and progressive neurological disease. Who tuned into the Olympics or saw the video gone viral about her performance?

 With medication, intensive therapies and an indomitable Spirit, she performed again!

Others who may have been diagnosed with Stiff Person's Syndrome now have hope! People who have been diagnosed with "chronic and progressive" conditions now see what's possible and have hope that with hard work, the best that allopathic and homeopathic therapies have to offer, the power of belief in the body's tremendous capacity to heal when harnessing the mind/body connection, it's all so possible. It always seems impossible until it's done, but miracles happen when we bear witness to what IS possible despite all appearances or beliefs to the contrary!

In health and wellness,

Mary

Visit my website to be inspired by my journey. May it ignite a spark within you to go farther than you ever believed you could. Be sure to visit the News and Events Page with links to podcast interviews, speaking engagements and where you can find my incredibly inspirational story. My interview with the amazing On the Runs podcast team of Erika Hamel and Eric Knuuttunen is Episode 56. Be sure to subscribe and download on your favorite podcast platform and subscribe to their YouTube channel.

Proud to BU is a podcast highlighting the illustrious achievements of Boston University Alumni. Here is the link to my episode.

My books that pack powerful messages of healing, hope and possibilities are available on Amazon  My 7th book, "A Most Unlikely Runner:Inspiration From The Heart of a Warrior" is receiving rave reviews and is a selection of the WBZ News Radio Book Club.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Vicarious Thrill of Cape Cod Marathon Race Weekend!

As Kara Goucher once said, "When it comes to running, participation and spectating go hand in hand. Watching the world's best compe...