Sunday, September 22, 2024

A Fabulous Four Miler & An Early Morning Run


After a major setback in my health and wellness journey in 2021/2022, I realized that I could have hung up my running shoes and focused on trying to maintain my fitness routine as best I could. But I realized, with the help of my husband and daughter, that I had not come that far to only go that far. I remembered all I had done to heal my life up until that point, after the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome, and after a serious knee injury in December of 2014. I knew that the comeback is always greater than the setback. I also knew I had nothing to prove. Running the 2009 Boston Marathon and 3 Half Marathons in Bermuda was a great feat and I certainly could have rested on my laurels sharing my incredible journey as a most unlikely runner. But something stirred deep within my soul. My comeback is shared in my 7th book, "A Most Unlikely Runner:Inspiration From The Heart of a Warrior." After mastering the distance of the 10K again, I experienced a wonderful momentum enjoying everything I fell in love with when I first started my running journey.

On 9/7, I was inspired to go beyond my usual 5K with a 4 miler. It was a glorious end of summer day.





 

I am delighted to feel the joy of running again feeling strength and freedom in my body.

 

 

 

The Gone for a Run Calendar on 9/9 had this quote:

It was a glorious morning and I was delighted that we set the alarm to be treated to the dawn of a new day:





I write in my bio how every day is a celebration of life for me at the age of 70. While life will always have its challenges, running always helps to clear away the cobwebs of worry and brings refreshment mind, body and soul.

We have been so blessed with end of summer weather of abundant sunshine, warm temperatures and low humidity. There's rain in the forecast and the Fall Equinox is on the horizon. Stay tuned for the next season of running!

 

 

 In health and wellness,

Mary

Visit my website to be inspired by my journey. May it ignite a spark within you to go farther than you ever believed you could. Be sure to visit the News and Events Page with links to podcast interviews, speaking engagements and where you can find my incredibly inspirational story. My interview with the amazing On the Runs podcast team of Erika Hamel and Eric Knuuttunen is Episode 56. Be sure to subscribe and download on your favorite podcast platform and subscribe to their YouTube channel.

On 9/28 I will be at Providence Fit Body Boot Camp for a book signing and inspirational conversation, "Running With Health Challenges as Septuagenerians: Still Moving and Finishing Strong." Details are on the News and Events  Page.

Proud to BU is a podcast highlighting the illustrious achievements of Boston University Alumni. Here is the link to my episode.

My books that pack powerful messages of healing, hope and possibilities are available on Amazon  My 7th book, "A Most Unlikely Runner:Inspiration From The Heart of a Warrior" is receiving rave reviews and is a selection of the WBZ News Radio Book Club.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Vicarious Thrill of Cape Cod Marathon Race Weekend!

As Kara Goucher once said, "When it comes to running, participation and spectating go hand in hand. Watching the world's best compe...