Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Stopping On A Dime!



   







Saturday was the first big change in weather day in weeks with cooler temps and rain. Before Saturday it was a no brainer to just put on either a singlet or t shirt and shorts. Ruth Anne and I went through a deciding what to wear conversation that went something like Hat? No, headband. Could you get out my volunteer jacket? Do I need to put on extra layer? Then the conversation turned to where should we go? Ordinarily when it's raining, we go out the door or no farther than Jamaica Plain. In our infinite wisdom, we decided to go to Castle Island. The rain and wind picked up on our drive there. We mentally dialed in. 

As we were preparing to leave the car I said, "Here let me put my hood up." As I tried to reach for the hood there was none. I started laughing nervously. Ruth Anne grabbed my Boston Marathon jacket which is the same colors as  the volunteer jacket. She felt awful and I told her it was an honest mistake.  "Should we only do 2 miles instead of a 5K?" Ruth Anne asked.

"No," I said with great confidence. "We'll be fine!" We'd done many longer runs in wind and rain so a 5K was totally manageable.

We tuned out the weather and tuned into breathing in the sea air, feeling the awe of Mother Nature especially as she churned the ocean's waters.

As we went over the bridges to run the Sugar Bowl (IYKYK) the rain pelted our faces as the wind picked up. We started to sing because well what else are you gonna do? We shared an indescribable joy in our strength and resilience braving the elements. I felt strong and determined to keep a steady pace while pausing to take photos and document this adventure.

At mile 1, I paused to hydrate knowing how important it is to stay well hydrated despite cooler temps and rain. "Hmm, this has a funny taste to it." We both started laughing so hard! Ruth Anne had prepared the water bottles and remembered it wasn't completely rinsed out after she had a Nunn tablet during her last long run.



Note that Ruth Anne's headband is inside out! We didn't realize it until we looked at the photos after our run! For some reason, my Garmin has been tracking pace and not the mileage. "We're at 1.55," Ruth Anne said. We wondered if perhaps we shouldn't go back over the bridges since the wind wouldn't be as strong on lower ground but Ruth Anne was determined to go the same route.

All of a sudden I stopped and paused my Garmin. "Mom are you okay? ... What are you doing?" 

 

"Is that a dime?" I asked Ruth Anne. I wasn't wearing my glasses because of the rain.

"Yes. Come on. We gotta keep going!"

I bent down and picked up the dime. I was a bit unsteady between going at a fast pace and being buffeted by wind and rain but I was drawn to the dime. Finding dimes when I am on a run holds special significance for me. FDR is on the dime because during his presidency he vowed to eradicate  polio. Eddie Cantor, a radio personality, suggested that people send in their change to the President. There was an influx of dimes and the money was used to support research into the polio vaccine. He also founded the March of Dimes to support those who contracted polio. I was one of those who was able to benefit from the support of the March of Dimes. I could never go out and play in the rain or mud puddles given my physical limitations due to polio coupled with severe trauma. But, as Tony Robbins likes to say, it's never too late to have a happy childhood. The poem, "Come Out and Play" was written after I had a dream shortly after the diagnosis. I dreamed that I came out of my leg brace and was splashing in the puddles a la Gene Kelly in Dancing in the Rain!

 Ruth Anne and I laughed a hearty belly laugh at how I looked stopping my run and staring at the ground without communicating what I was doing. I told her "Wait a sec. I gotta see the date." "No put that dime away, we've gotta finish this thing."

And so I did and so we did.

We cranked up the heat in the car putting our jackets and headbands in the back seat. We had an amazing feeling of accomplishment for having the courage to start and then finishing our 5K. Ruth Anne checked the date on the dime. It was 2022. That was the year that the mother of Ruth Anne's best friend with whom I was very good friends made her transition. We've been experiencing a lot of signs from her.

"Yup that was Carol," Ruth Anne said.

On the drive home we reminisced about Carol and the special times Ruth Anne shared when she'd spend time at her best friend's house. We were both very happy that I decided to stop on a dime in the midst of wind and rain to remember an old friend and to experience a hearty laugh!

In health and wellness,

Mary

Visit my website to be inspired by my journey. May it ignite a spark within you to go farther than you ever believed you could. Be sure to visit the News and Events Page with links to podcast interviews, speaking engagements and where you can find my incredibly inspirational story. My interview with the amazing On the Runs podcast team of Erika Hamel and Eric Knuuttunen is Episode 56. Be sure to subscribe and download on your favorite podcast platform and subscribe to their YouTube channel.

On 9/28 I will be at Providence Fit Body Boot Camp for a book signing and inspirational conversation, "Running With Health Challenges as Septuagenerians: Still Moving and Finishing Strong." Details are on the News and Events  Page.

Proud to BU is a podcast highlighting the illustrious achievements of Boston University Alumni. Here is the link to my episode.

My books that pack powerful messages of healing, hope and possibilities are available on Amazon  My 7th book, "A Most Unlikely Runner:Inspiration From The Heart of a Warrior" is receiving rave reviews and is a selection of the WBZ News Radio Book Club.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Vicarious Thrill of Cape Cod Marathon Race Weekend!

As Kara Goucher once said, "When it comes to running, participation and spectating go hand in hand. Watching the world's best compe...