Sunday, April 21, 2024

The Magic of Marathon Monday!

 

Ever since Team McManus ran the 2009 Boston Marathon, we have felt the incredible magic of the Unicorn on Marathon Monday. We spent more time at the Expo this year than we had in previous years which fueled our excitement to cheer on the runners. Being a part of the On the Runs podcast family, texting with Kim Sutton (who I met at the LA Marathon), and our new friends the Power family all added to the thrill of Marathon Monday. I woke up without the alarm on Monday feeling that excitement of race day even though I wasn't running. Tom and Ruth Anne were also eager to get our spot on the corner of Dean Road and Beacon Street. We meditated, had breakfast, packed our food for the day and headed to Dean Road. When we started to unpack the car, we realized that in all of the excitement, we forgot the cooler. Fortunately there was plenty of time for Tom to drive home to get it while Ruth Anne and I set up camp for the day.



I checked in with Barbra with whom we had a magical moment on Friday before we went to the Expo. They were set up at Cleveland Circle. She texted me a photo. One of the Brookline Firefighters who was part of security 'just happened' to have been one of Ruth Anne's camp counselors. The other first responders teased him about how old he was that one of his campers was all grown up!




It wasn't long before the lead male wheelchair runner came along. To no one's surprise, it was Marcel Hug who went on to win!

After the excitement of seeing the first participant come through, the crowd quiets until the next lead vehicle approaches. Coming through was Eden Rainbow-Cooper who went on to win the women's wheelchair division.

While waiting for the male lead runner to come through, I was getting pumped by watching live videos from my friends, the hosts of the On the Runs podcast at Mile 19.

{I have only videos of the men's and women's leaders.}

The lead male runner came through and we wondered what happened to the rest of the pack. We watched the race on WCVB TV on Tom's iPhone. There was a moment of a challenge from 2nd place winner Mohammed Esa but Sisay Lemma broke the tape.

The lead women's pack was well - packed! It was a race to the finish with Helen Obiri claiming victory for the 2nd year in a row. We have videos of Ruth Anne screaming, wishing Sarah Hall Happy Birthday as she ran by and screaming to Emma Bates how much we love her. The crowd, as always, went wild for Desi Linden.

It was time to settle back and track our friends hoping to see them as they approached the last 5K+ of their amazing journey from Hopkinton to Boston.

I texted with Kim whose husband Tim was having a great day to make sure that the tracker was working (unlike what happened at the LA Marathon). She said it certainly was; she had a perfect spectator spot in front of the newly opened Dick's Sporting Goods store. I told her that I hoped I would see Tim and if I did would send her a text.

Tom had a wonderful time cheering on the runners with #morecowbell wearing his L Street Running Club t-shirt that was made after 4-15-13 reminding us that we run as one and are Boston Strong.










Although Tim didn't see us because he was in the zone, he looked amazing coming down Beacon Street. Right after he passed, I let Kim know he was on his way to see his biggest fan.

I was blessed to see Jared Ewing looking so strong as he came down Beacon Street. He was too fast for me to get a photo but he acknowledged our cheers for him by blowing us a kiss. 

How lucky was I to get to meet a real live Unicorn:

 

 

 

You must listen to Yuki Chorney's episode on the On the Runs podcast. She is truly a magical being who spreads glitter, light, love and the magic of the Unicorn wherever she goes.





We cheered on Charity Runners, asked runners who were cramped if we could share pretzels or water with them and, at times, because of the heat, called out for medical attention. The volunteers were phenomenal! They would kneel down to apply Biofreeze and massage out cramped muscles, ran to bring water to runners and were vigilant about spotting runners in distress encouraging them to come into the medical tent. 

Tom spotted Amby Burfoot. He called out his name and in typical Amby nonchalant fashion, he gave Tom a wave acknowledging the shout out. Tom asked the spectators around us if they knew who Amby was.

We continued to track our runners and 'watch' them finish their incredible races. Breanna Power had an amazing day. Her mom texted me a photo of her coming into Cleveland Circle surprised by a friend from Connecticut who had come in to cheer her on. Kim texted me a photo and video of Tim's phenomenal finish. He ran another BQ IN BOSTON! 

We thought that John Young may have 'called it' given the heat of the day. At Mile 23 he posted an update on Facebook that he was still on the course determined to finish!

To cap off a magical Marathon Monday, I received an alert from my tracking app:

What a magnificent way to top off a most magical Boston Marathon Weekend 2024. To experience more of the magic of Marathon Weekend, watch the On the Runs Episode 104.

I often wonder what my life would look like if I would have succumbed to the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome in December of 2006 or if I would even be alive today. My heart overflows with gratitude that I get to be a part of this vibrant, inspiring, fun loving and health and wellness conscious community. I have made friends that I otherwise would not have met and experienced places in wondrous ways as a most unlikely runner.

Until next year Boston! Thank you for the magic and the memories!

In health and wellness,

Mary

Visit my website to be inspired by my journey. May it ignite a spark within you to go farther than you ever believed you could. Be sure to visit the News and Events Page with links to podcast interviews, speaking engagements and where you can find my incredibly inspirational story. My interview with the amazing On the Runs podcast team of Erika Hamel and Eric Knuuttunen is Episode 56. Be sure to subscribe and download on your favorite podcast platform and subscribe to their YouTube channel.

Proud to BU is a podcast highlighting the illustrious achievements of Boston University Alumni. Here is the link to my episode.

My books that pack powerful messages of healing, hope and possibilities are available on Amazon

***COMING MAY 25, 2024***  "A Most Unlikely Runner: Inspiration From The Heart of a Warrior" Book Release Party 6/3  7-8pm at Livite Brookline in Washington Square

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ten Years Later - A Full Circle Moment with Marathon Sports

 I received this message from Marathon Sports on my Instagram account: Hi Mary! I hope you’re having a great start to your week. We would lo...